Upside down Apple Cake
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 6 oz flour (cake flour)
- 6 oz butter (softened) not melted
- 6 oz caster sugar
- 3 eggs (medium)
- For Apple Topping:
- 6 cooking Apples (peeled and diced)
- 1 oz butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (soft)
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- For dusting finished cake:
- 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 175C/3509F and line a 9" round pan with greaseproof paper at the bottom and sides.
- Add one ounce of butter to a large frying pan, followed by the soft brown sugar and grated ginger.
- Stir butter and sugar mixture until the sugar is melted.
- Add the apples to the pan in one layer and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn the apples over in an even layer to brown the other side in the sugar mixture for another 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat off under the apples.
- Add the caster sugar, flour and softened butter to a mixing bowl and beat for one and a half minutes on high speed.
- Add the three eggs at once and beat the batter for 45 seconds on high speed.
- There is no need to add any liquid to the batter as the juice from the apples will moisten the cake as it bakes.
- Pour the apple mixture into the bottom of the cake pan and spread them out in an even layer.
- Pour the cake batter over the apples and spread into an even layer. If your cake pan has a push-up layer (springform) you may need to rest it on a tray to bake to catch any liquids that may drip from the pan.
- Place the cake pan on the middle shelf in a pre-heated oven and bake for 35 minutes or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Place a flat tray or plate at the top of the pan and turn over to release the cake.
- Gently remove the lining paper from the sides and the top of the cake.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with cinnamon powder and serve on its own or with ice cream.
- Servings : 6-8
- Ready in : 50 Minutes
#Foodiemum, creator of culinary art, wife and Mum of two.Read more about this chef..