Caribbean Coconut Sweetbread (Trinidad Sweetbread)
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 large or 2 small
- (4.9 /5)
- 6 ratings
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 2 cups grated coconut
- 1 ½ cups raisins
- ½ cup dried cranberries or glace cherries
- 4 1/2 oz. butter melted
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk(1 cup for lighter bread)
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the topping
- ¼ cup caster sugar and 2 tbsp. warm water mixed together
- 1 tbsp. caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 165*C/325*F For a lighter Sweetbread use 1 cup milk, you will get a stiff sticky mix.
- Butter a large loaf pan and line with greaseproof paper.
- In a large mixing bowl; add flour, baking powder, coconut, nutmeg, cinnamon, raisins and cranberries.
- Use a large mixing spoon to mix all the dry ingredients thoroughly.
- In a medium bowl; add eggs, vanilla extract, milk and whisk until they are combined.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the milk mixture and the melted butter. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into the lined loaf pan and smooth the top with the back of the spoon.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 45-60 mins. After 45 mins test by putting a skewer into the centre; if it comes out clean, the bread is done.
- Turn the oven off and remove the loaf.
- Leave the sweetbread in the pan and spoon the syrup over the top getting into any natural gaps.
- Sprinkle with the 1 tbsp. of caster sugar, allow the bread to completely cool before slicing.
#Foodiemum, creator of culinary art, wife and Mum of two.Read more about this chef..