Codfish and Avocado Salad
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 8 ratings
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 large white onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp parsley (chopped)
- 2 spring onions ( chopped in ½” pieces)
- 2 large ripe tomatoes (cut in cubes and seeds removed)
- 1 red chili diced (seeds removed)
- 300g salted codfish
- 1 small green sweet pepper (diced)
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme thyme leaves
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Rinse salted Cod fish under running tap water.
- Place Codfish in a medium saucepan and cover with about two inches of water above.
- Place pan over medium-high heat. When water starts to boil, allow it to continue boiling for about five mins.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour off the salted water, which will be foamy.
- Fill the saucepan again with water and repeat step 3. After pouring off the water for the second time taste the cooked fish. If the fish is still to salty repeat, step 3 one last time.
- In a medium bowl, add cooked Cod fish and break up into small bite sized pieces.
- Add sweet pepper, chili, parsley, spring onions, tomatoes, thyme, lemon juice and diced avocado to the bowl with the fish.
- Add 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil to a saute pan and place over a medium to high heat. Add onions and garlic and saute until onions are translucent in colour.
- Transfer onion mixture to the bowl with the avocado and fish. Add remaining olive oil and all the ingredients thoroughly but gently and serve.