- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 3 large firm mangoes (unripe)
- 1 tsp ground tumeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (6 ozs) soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp madras curry powder
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp amchar masala
- For Amchar Masala:
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black pepper corns
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek or methi seeds
- Cut each unripe mangoes into four pieces straight through the seed or by cutting the flesh off the seeds, leaving the skin intact. The mangoes can also made in thick dice.
- Place the mango pieces in a large pot and cover with water. Then add the turmeric and salt.
- Place the pan over a medium to high heat and allow to cook until the mango pieces are soft when a skewer placed through the skin.
- Place a frying pan over a medium to high heat and add the ingredients for the amchur masala.
- Stir the seeds and allow them to roast for about 5 to 10 mins without burning.
- Remove the roasted seeds from the pan and place in a mortar and pestle and grind to form a powder.
- Drain the liquid from the mangoes reserving about 1/2 cup.
- Place a large heavy bottom pan over a medium to high heat and add oil. Mix the curry powder with a little water to form a paste, then add to the hot pan.
- Stir the paste in the hot oil for a minute allowing it to cook.
- Add the cooked mangoes to the pan and mix thoroughly to coat in curry mixture.
- Add the sugar and the amchur masala and mix again thoroughly to combine all the ingredients.
- Add the reserved mango stock to the pan and allow the sauce to thicken. Continue to cook for 5-10 mins. Then remove from heat and serve warm.
- Servings : 8
- Ready in : 75 Minutes
- Recipe Type :
#Foodiemum, creator of culinary art, wife and Mum of two.Read more about this chef..