Whole Roasted Chicken (Herb Roasted Chicken)
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 2 ratings
- 1 large whole chicken
- 2 spring onions (scallions, green onions)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large white onion
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves or dried
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary or dried
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp allspice
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp olive oil or vegetable oil
- For Lemon and Salt Bath:
- 2 cups water
- 2 large lemons
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- Sliced the lemons and all the squeeze the juice into a large bowl, removing any seeds but leaving the slices in the bowl. Add two cups of water to the bowl along with salt.
- Place the chicken into the lemon bath and put some of the lemon slices inside of the cavity as well as on top of the meat. Cover at set aside in the refrigerator or at room temperature for an hour.
- Remove the chicken from the lemon and salt bath and take out any lemon slices in the cavity. Preheat the oven to 380*F/190*C
- In a food processor, add the spring onions, white onion, garlic, thyme, rosemary, black pepper, paprika, allspice, salt, 2 tsp olive oil. Mince the herbs until they are fine and form a paste.
- Place the chicken on a non-stick baking pan
- Pour 2/3 of the seasoning on the chicken and rub all over, including the inside of the cavity including the neck area with the marinade.
- Gently place your fingers under the skin of the chicken breasts and using a knife make a deep cut and pack with seasoning on both sides.
- Drizzle ½ tbsp olive oil over the top of the chicken and rub to coat, turn over and repeat for the bottom. Allow the chicken to marinate in seasonings for at least one hour or overnight in the refrigerator. N.B. It is also okay to roast immediately.
- Place the chicken breast side down on the tray and bake for 40 mins in the hot oven.
- Remove and turn over to the back, return to the oven and continue roasting for a further 20 mins. (When a skewer put into the chicken breast and thigh, the juices should be clear. Any sign of bloody juices means that the chicken requires further cooking).
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for at least 15 mins before serving.
#Foodiemum, creator of culinary art, wife and Mum of two.Read more about this chef..