- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 500 g salted Codfish (optional)
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 spring onions (chopped)
- 1 hot pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander (chopped)
- 1 cup okras (sliced)
- 2 cup long grain easy cook rice
- 1 cup lentils (yellow or red)
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 4 pimento seeds or 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp oregano leaves (chopped)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil/coconut oil
- 1 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1/2 cup diced squash or pumpkin
- 650 ml water or 300 ml coconut milk & 350 ml water
- Rinse the salted codfish under running cold tap water. Place into a large saucepan and top with water.
- Place the pan over high heat and allow the water to come to a boil. Keep an eye on the pan as it can easily boil over. You may also need to lower the temperature to medium-high once it begins boiling.
- Allow boiling for approximately 5 mins and then pour off all the liquid from the fish. Fill the saucepan again and repeat the process.
- After boiling and pouring off twice taste the fish to test for saltiness. If the fish is extremely salty, boil again.
- Drain the water from the fish and break up into small chunks and set aside in a bowl for later.
- Place a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
- After 1 min, add oil and onions and saute for 5 mins until they are soft and translucent.
- Add garlic and saute for 2 mins.
- Add all of the other ingredients to the pan except salt, stir to thoroughly mix. Taste to see if additional salt is needed, then salt to taste. Cover and allow to cook for 30 mins over medium heat. On a scale from 1-14 = 7
- Turn the contents of the pan thoroughly every 15 mins using a wooden or pot spoon.
- After 30 mins, lower the heat to low. On a scale of 1-14 =2-3 and cook for a further 30 mins continuing to stir every 15 mins.
- Test if the rice is ready by squeezing a few grains between your thumb and index finger or by tasting.
- Once the rice has cooked to your satisfaction, turn off the heat and serve.
- NB: This rice is cooked through steaming once the liquid added has evaporated. Avoid adding too much water as the dish may turn out wet and clammy.