Potato Salad with Peas and Carrots (Trinidad Potato Salad)
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 6 medium potatoes
- 4 medium carrots
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 medium red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp yellow mustard (English Mustard)
- 1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp salt for boiling potatotoes
- 1/4- 1/2 tsp salt for salad (if required)
- Sweet corn Kernels instead of peas
- Beetroot instead of carrots
- Grated white onion instead of red onion
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic (optional)
- 2 eggs (hard boiled and chopped) optional
- Wash carrots and potatoes thoroughly, removing any dirt.
- In a large saucepan add the carrots and potatoes and cover with water.
- Place over a medium to high heat and add 1 tbsp salt to the water.
- Allow the vegetables to cook.
- After 20 mins check the vegetables for readiness using a skewer or toothpick. Skewer should go right through with ease.
- Remove any vegetables that are ready and continue cooking the others until done.
- Remove all the cooked vegetables from the water and place in a container.
- Allow the vegetables to cool completely before removing the skins.
- To remove the skin from the potatoes, slice a thin peace from the top or bottom and using the edge of the knife peel the thin layer of skin away.
- To remove the skin from the carrots, scrape sideways with a knife to lift the thin layer of cooked skin from the vegetable.
- Cut the potatoes and carrots into cubes and place them into a clean large bowl.
- Add the chopped onion, parsley, black pepper, mustard, salt if required and mayonnaise to the dish and mix thoroughly to combine all of the ingredients.
- Serve at room temperature!
#Foodiemum, creator of culinary art, wife and Mum of two.Read more about this chef..